Home workstation 2020
As usage of a PC for resource-greedy calculations is work and hobby and lifestyle, the home PC has been under continuous upgrade for decades. Its applications include:
- chemoinformatic calculations of biomolecules, mainly single-thread
- software and database development (local web server and debugging environment for php, python, r, mysql)
- image design and processing workstation, including large multilayer hi-res images
- simple sound processing workstation
- platform for experiments with hardware and software
- complex documents: long bibliographies, database connections, multidimensional graphs, recursive tables, etc.
- regular home usage (films, music, documents, communication)
An attempt to have a reserve for performance and upgradability together with low noise and adequate price led to:
I had to remove a perfect entertainment sound card (Asus Xonar D2X) due to incompatibility with a new chipset, and I got rid of several old devices. However, during this I lost a video capture feature and a live view from a photo camera (Fujifilm). Moreover, I still need a PCI-e oscillograph. So, the upgrade is still in progress:).
- CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900 (x12) overclocked to 4.3 GHz, motherboard ASUS ROG Strix, chipset AMD X570.
- 32Gb of fast DDR4 (17-17-17-40) at 2.4 ÃÃö (tests: 37 Gb/s).
- system disk: NVMe Samsung Evo 970 (tests: 3 Gb/s, 0.03 ms latency), disk for swaps and caches: SSD Plextor M5P (0.5 Gb/s), main data disk: WD 10000 rpm (0.25 Gb/s), storage and backup disk: regular HDD.
- liquid cooling of CPU, mosfets, memory, north bridge, video chip; sequential water pipe with two auxilary radiators, Aquaero 6 XT controller. Fan and pump speed is controlled by thermal load; front panel RGB LED reflects water temperature.
- video (image only; not used in culculations): ATI Radeon 7700 (1 Gb).
- sound: Creative X-Fi Fatality with front panel.
- chassis: Thermaltake Level 10 (tuned), power supply: Thermaltake 750W, UPS: Crown 1500 VA.
- other devices: PCI-e USB 3.0, card reader, Blue-ray DVD-RW, mobile rack, audio commutator, MB internal devices (LAN, WiFi, BT).
- image periphery: Dell U2711 (IPS 27") monitor, ELP FullHD 60fps USB cam, Epson Perfection 2400 scanner, HP Color Laserjet M551 printer (A4).
- sound periphery: Creative Inspire 4.1 speakers (for everyday usage and films), Edifier BT1700 2.0 speakers (bedroom), Koss PortaPro headphones, desktop microphone, Behringer Xenix 802 4-channel mixer console, Yamaha RX-R520RDS amplifier + big sovjet AC-90 2.0 speakers.
- input periphery: Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, USB-connector for drone R/C transmitter (Interlink), universal remote control, joystick (I do not know what for:) )